The landscape of global public participation and community engagement is changing. A proven framework for public participation has never been more essential. People want and need to be engaged as decisions are made, and the process must happen in a respectful, positive, and effective way that creates the best possible outcomes for all concerned. That’s where International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) Federation comes in.
The IAP2 Federation has streamlined and refined its highly-regarded and innovative flagship certificate course to meet today’s challenging climate. Whether you are new to the public participation process or an advanced practitioner, this new training will provide you with the structure, techniques, and knowledge you need to be successful.
The hands-on design of this program and the expertise of the IAP2 Federation Licensed Trainers ensures that you receive the very best public participation and community engagement training available globally.
The program is divided into two (2) Modules.
A three (3) day 'Planning' module and a two (2) day 'Techniques' module.
Planning Module – 3 days
The three-day 'Planning' module provides an introduction to the foundations of effective public participation including decision process steps; how to select levels of participation, identify and clarify the roles and responsibilities of decision-makers and communities; and an introduction to the selection of techniques and development of a community engagement plan. The program has a project management base supported by community engagement and development principles. It helps project officers who are responsible for council’s infrastructure to understand the needs of communities; and it helps community development officers to integrate community needs within a project management structure. The program broadens the perspective of council officers and increases their capacity to work effectively with community members.
- The public and their roles in participation
- The integration of project management with community engagement and community development practices
- How to set clear objectives to achieve public participation goals
- How to develop a public participation plan including communication aspects of public participation
- How to identify appropriate evaluation tools to measure the effectiveness of public participation
- A variety of public participation engagement and communication skills; and techniques including active listening, empathy, managing difficult conversations and risk communication.
module needs to be completed before
Techniques Module – 2 days
The two-day 'Techniques' module provides an introduction to a range of practical techniques that can be used at all five levels on the IAP2 Spectrum of Public Participation. The module builds on the learning from the planning module and provides participants with opportunities to reflect on and improve their understanding of the IAP2 approach to public participation.
- World Café, interviewing from a public participation perspective, focused conversations, Citizen Jury, community groups and other techniques of interest to participants
- How to select techniques to share information, collect and compile information and bring people together
- How to adapt techniques to suit specific situations and meet public participation objectives.
At the completion of this 5-day course, participants will receive an internationally recognised IAP2 Public Participation Certificate.
Barbara Chappell is the author of the LGA Community Engagement Handbook and the City of Onkaparinga’s Community Engagement Handbook which won the IAP2 Core Values Award for Best Policy Framework 2007. She holds a Master of Conflict Management. Barbara is licensed to train the International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) Foundations Program and Strategies for Dealing with Opposition and Outrage Management courses. She has delivered the training across Australia, in Singapore, Jakarta, San Diego and Ottawa. She works with Councils and community groups throughout South Australia to raise awareness of community engagement practices.
If you are enrolling on someone's behalf, please ensure after selecting 'Book Now' below, you use the first page to enter your details and the second page to enter the attendee's details.
For further information about the content of this program or to enquire about having this program brought ‘In-House’ to your council or to a ‘Council Hub’ near you please contact LGA Training on 8224 2000 or at firstname.lastname@example.org