9:30am to 3:30pm
All Council Staff with minimal or no formal marketing or communications training and experience.
Social Media 101 will help develop Council staffs understanding about the use of social media and how it can be utilised to enhance communication with their communities.
The interactive session will explore
- - opportunities to use social media at your Council,
- - how to prepare your organisation before getting started,
- - developing a social media plan,
- - how to choose which tools are right for your Council,
- - creating appropriate and engaging content,
- - and how to effectively monitor, respond and evaluate your channels.
The workshop is supported by a suite of resource materials including:
- - A 30-page Social Media 101 Guide for Councils that covers everything from risk management to choosing the best tool, preparing content and monitoring and evaluation;
- - A template Social Media Policy that can be adapted to suit your Council; and
- - Basic ‘How-to’ Guides for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snachat and LinkedIn.
The workshop has been specifically designed for people will little or no experience or understanding of how to use social media for work purposes and features practical demonstrations about how to use key tools and features.
There is no requirement to bring a laptop/hand held device
Sarah Bishop – Director, Activate Consulting
Sarah is an experienced communications professional and manager. She has spent over 10 years in specialist marketing and communications roles and senior leadership positions in Local and State Government in Victoria.
She has experience working with both large metropolitan Councils, most recently as Manager Communications and Public Affairs at the City of Kingston, and regional and rural Councils in a prior role with the Victorian Government's Regional Development Department.
Sarah has spoken numerous times about the opportunities that social media provides the local government sector, including:
- - Local Government Association of South Australia AGM and Conference (2013), "Online Leadership" panel presentation and interactive workshop;
- - South Australian Climate Change Adaptation Showcase (2014), "Leading change through social media" panel presentation; and
- - Local Government Managers Australia National Congress (2014), "Leveraging technology to enhance community consultation" panel presentation.
- - She has facilitated the Social Media 101; Social Media 2.0 and other professional development sessions for the Local Government Association of SA for the past 4 years.